Thursday, March 24, 2011

Latest books...

I've finished up two more books.  Here is a quick review of each of them.

"Baby We Were Meant For Each Other" by Scott Simon (+4.0)
This book is a compilation of adoption stories.  As a rule, I don't care that much for compilation books (not sure that is a true book category...but it is in my mind).  But these stories were all about adoption.  Not all about adoption from China or domestic adoptions, or even conventional adoptions.  It was a really interesting selection of different situations that brought about adoption.  And it focused on different things about adoption...like several adult adoptees take on their being adopted.  The author makes some assertive statements about adoption that I totally agreed with.  And he was honest about his own experience as an adoptive parent.  It's a nice read, not just for people who have experienced adoption.

"The Personal History of Rachel Dupree" by Ann Weisgarber (+4.75)
This is a beautiful book.  It takes on the unusual theme of a black frontier couple in the early 1900's and their struggle to survive and excel.  It is written totally from Rachel Dupree's viewpoint, which is thoughtful, honest, and often times painful.  I love black historical novels from this era, but had not ever read one written about this area (South Dakota).  I really loved this book.  I might have given it a 5.0 if the ending hadn't left me hanging!  But, maybe that means there will be another Rachel Dupree book.  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment