Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's on your bedside table?


Do you think your beside table tells any secrets about you?  Hmmmm!  Not sure.  Mine breaks the news that it is everyone's least favorite place to have to dust.  Well, that and my desk.  I'll admit, it is not decorating at it's finest.  It could possibly reveal that I'm a dork.  And a creature of habit.  A little sentimental. Aging.  And a lot more laid back about housekeeping than I used to be.

So...let's see what we have here.

First....the big eye sore, the blue thermal cup.  Since I was a little girl I've always had a big cup of water on my bedside table. I admittedly drink at least half of it most nights.  I'm a person who likes a little drink with my ice.  So, a thermal cup is in order.  And, yes, I realize it is ugly and old.  But none of the cute new ones let me wake up to a cup that still has ice in it.  There you have it.

The clock...a necessary evil. The most important aspect of the clock?  The snooze button.  I am one of those people who set the alarm early enough so that I can hit the snooze at least two times....three to four times is FABULOUS!!  Joe is the guy who wakes before the alarm or hears it and gets right out of bed.  Not me.  Those nine minutes of snooze time are the best sleep EVER!  I mean, good, hard, deep sleep!  Me loves me snooze button.

A picture of my kiddos.  It's an old one of them on Christmas Eve many years ago.  It is sweet and tender and melts my heart.  It's back when Harrison was still really enamored with having a little sister and before she could talk very well.  Hee! Hee!

Then there's that lovely yellow water can with fake flowers.  I admit, I hate fake flowers.  But my little one brought that home from church one night.  And a couple of days later I found it on my bedside table.  I gave it back to her.  She kept putting it back on my table.  She told me she just wanted me to have some beautiful flowers to look at.  They made her think of me.  Ahhhhhh!  Seriously, they might be there forever.

On top of  a stack of books is a little picture with the words “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, For all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.”  - Helen Keller  My friend Kela gave me that picture after my mom died.  It meant a lot to me then.  It means a lot to me now.  


Here comes the dork part.  I have two book journals.   One is a journal that I keep of all the books I read.  I rate them all on a scale of 0-5.  I write a review.  It is going to be worth millions some day.  (You know I'm joking, right?)  The other journal I keep for my book club.  


The "aging" part are the glasses.  I can't read without them.  I mean, I know how to read without them. But the print would have to be so big the weight of all the books would probably send the bedside table crashing to the ground.  And because I used to tease my grandma about having "driving glasses, piano glasses, sewing glasses, and reading glasses" I now have "reading glasses, computer glasses, and a pair just for menus".  Geez!  It sucks getting old.  


The rest are books.  Well...in case the books aren't enough, there is a Nook in the mix somewhere too.  The closest stack is always what I'm reading or in the queue to read.  For instance, in this picture there is "What Alice Forgot", our book club book for last month.  There is also "Clara and Mr. Tiffany", which I finished last night.  And Tim Tebow's biography, which I started last week.  There are a couple more that are in the lineup.  And I need to download "Smarty Pants" to the Nook for this month's book club.  Then, at the back of the table is the "reference section".  It has books about raising your boy, raging the rapids with teenagers, marriage, a Bible study, and a couple of non-fiction books about China's hutongs being torn down for the Beijing Olympics.  


I'm going to go ahead and admit that there is a huge wedge pillow next to the table that I use to sit up and read in bed.  I think I see where this is going.  My table says I like to read.  It is my favorite little space of time at the end of the day.  The Nook is nice, but I love to hold my book in my hands.  I love to thumb through a book.  I like to read all the acknowledgements and post scripts.  I like to dog ear the pages, especially if I want to remember something on that page.  I'm not afraid to mark in a book, as long as I own it.  However, I got carried away and started marking in my friend Jenny's book.  That reminds me, I need to replace that for her.  


So....just curious....what's on your bedside table?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have to confess I usually don't read your blog, but this one caught my eye... mostly because of the pictures that are on my bedside table... the ones of my girls that you took when you kept them one evening many years ago so Tony and I could have a "date". I think they're even in the frames that you gave me for being in your wedding! I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the books that are stacked on the night stand are some that I haven't opened for quite a while, but the pictures are some of my favorites :)

    Thank you, Joy, for helping me with some very special memories, and for the reminder of our friendship!

    DeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only "lazy" person who loves to snooze! If I'm lucky, I can get a good hour in!

    ReplyDelete