Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This should NOT be happening!

It's not right!  It's just not right!  This should NOT be happening!!!  But it did....I actually went to high school orientation last night with my first born, my baby boy....say it ain't so!!!!  I mean, big people go to high school.  Tall people.  People with facial hair.  People with hairy legs.  People with deep voices.  (Okay...hopefully those last three are only the males.)  Wait a minute!  I have one of  those people!  When did my baby get to be 5'9"?  When did his voice stop sounding like mine?  When did the little mustache arrive?  AAAAAHHHH!  It just goes way too fast!

I tried not to think about how it was just a minute ago he was born.  But when I looked around me at orientation, there were dozens of other moms with the same glazed over look.  They had all  left the building and were back about 14 years ago in their minds too.  I was remembering the ride to the hospital, with a very nervous husband who was about to go "high karate" on the guy at the McDonald's drive through line becase he was in slow motion.  Little did he know that it would be another 24 hours before our son graced us with his presence.  And then, the first moment I saw him....my heart be still!  Joe always smiles at the pictures, because I just could not hold Harrison close enough, I needed him right by my face, as close as he could get.  You never in a million years could have told me how much I would love this kid! 

Oh we have enjoyed every minute!  We loved, loved, loved that newborn phase.  The sweet little sounds, the sleepy face, and our favorite...his little wake up dance.  Then he started giving back...a smile, a giggle, a coo...then he did it...."Mama"!  Yep...he said "mama" first!  I still remember laying in bed with Joe and listening to Harrison coo in his crib and he did it, he started saying "mama, mama, mama" over and over.  Joe was a little irritated, thought I'd been coaching him while he was at work.  I really hadn't coached him, but I counted it as a victory!  In a minute it seemed he learned to walk, then run, then ride his trike, swing, climb the slide.  Oh my goodness we had fun!  Everything he did made us smile.  He was such an easy kid and so delightful.  Then he went to Mother's Day Out....one day a week.  The first few weeks I never left the house, just stayed at home and waited for the phone to ring in case he needed me.  Of course, he was fine!  Then a couple years later while he was at preschool I decided I could go to the gym without a phone, he would be fine...they had never called me in the 3 years he had been there.  Yep!  That's when it happened!  They tried to call.  They called the house, they called the cell, they called Joe, they called my friend Julie.  I was at the gym for 45 minutes.  He fell on the playground.  They were taking him to the hospital.  He broke and dislocated his elbow, they were prepping him for surgery.  Let's just say it was a setback for a neurotic mom! 

Then...real school.  Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that my good friend Christi and I stood outside Chisholm and watched our baby boys, Bradley and Harrison, line up for their first day of kindergarten.  Oops!  I forgot, Bradley had to be carried in and then someone had to bar the door so he wouldnt run out.  : )  The first day when I picked Harrison up, he announced "I love school"!  Bradley announced that he was getting married.  Ha! Ha!  Those two crack me up!  One year in elementary school a bigger kid was kind of picking on those two on the playground and they kind of smarted back at the kid.  So he asked them their names, to which they looked at each other, smiled, and answered "Dave and Wade" (their middle names are David and Wade) and they took off running.  And so the adventures of Dave and Wade began...they even drew comic books called "The Adventures of Dave and Wade".  And now....they are both tall, hairy-legged, deep voiced, mustached boys!!!  WAAAAAHHH! 

And honestly, it really was just a few minutes ago that we were sadly saying goodbye to elementary school and bracing ourselves for middle school.  Harrison handled it like a pro!  He loved having all the different teachers, he enjoyed meeting new friends, he enjoyed feeling "bigger".  We gave up the years of playing ball with the kids and coaches that we chose and God had blessed us with....spending lots of evenings and Saturdays with families that we loved at the ballparks and gyms.  And we moved on to school sports.  This group of boys in Harrison's grade are such a great group of kids that it was a fun transition.  Along with middle school came puberty....adolescence....the years of living dangerously.  Wait...that might be too much...sorry!  It is a time filled with hormones, cracking voices, arm pit hair (which initially is counted individually by each pit and announced on a regular basis), moodiness, and lots and lots of eating!  I embraced the fact that Harrison was still shorter than me for as long as possible....then it happened, he passed me.  And he passed me.  And he passed me.  And he passed me...growing 7 inches in one year!  And that brings us back to where we started.  I own one of those tall kids, with hairy legs, a deep voice and facial hair.  This should NOT be happening!!!

I have to say, I still love this kid like crazy!  He is funny, confident, smart, sensitive, compassionate.  He is full of faith!  He desires to live a Godly life, seeks out Godly friends and mentors.  I love watching the young man that he is becoming.  He's normal...makes me wanna pull my hair out somedays!  But, those moments are just a part of coming of age.  The big picture shows a kid who loves his family, loves God, love his friends,  loves to learn, loves to have fun, loves to give.  So....high school...here we come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment