Sunday, November 4, 2012

50 Somethings in Nashville


Several months ago my friend Jenni (from high school in Nebraska) had a crazy idea to plan a girls trip to Nashville with anyone that we graduated with that wanted to go.  Fast forward to October and eleven 50 Somethings converged on Nashville for a girls trip of epic proportions.  Okay, that might be exaggerating a little bit.  On second thought....maybe not!  We came from all over the country.  Several came from Nebraska.  But we had representatives from Georgia, Arkansas, Colorado, Oklahoma and Washington.

While we were in Nashville, people would ask us if we had all been best friends in high school.  Funny thing was, no, we weren't.  There were a a couple of sets of best friends from high school.  But honestly, we all kind of came from different circles in high school.  I was the only one who didn't actually graduate with the NPHS class of 1980.  NOT because I flunked out, but because I moved.  And there was Kelly, who isn't actually a 50 Something yet, she's a class of 1981 girl.  I went to the same church with Jenni and Mitzi.  Cynthe and I played basketball together and were in band.  Laurie, Lori, Janine, Mitzi and I were cheerleaders of one sort or another.  The other Joy was a friend since junior high...she was the tall, beautiful blond Joy.  I was the short Joy.  Bea and Dawn I didn't know very well in high school, but now it seems like we've known each other forever.

What can I say about these fabulous ladies.  Well, first I'd like to say this...some of them haven't been out with the girls for a LONG time!  Just sayin!  The three of us that have lived farther south use the term "ya'll" naturally.  The rest of these ladies felt it was a must-use term while they were in Nashville.  Pretty hilarious if you could have heard them.  A certain, wall flower of an art teacher among us coined the phrase "oh hell no" as her mantra for the weekend.  There was much discussion about some "pontoon" song...I still have no idea what that is about.  A lot of "red solo cup" talk.  The word honky-tonk was used a lot (I admit I used it a few times myself).  Names like Vince, Faith, and Tim were dropped all the time...I really have no idea who they were talking about.  (Just kidding...I know...Gill, Hill and McGraw.)  You see, I know nothing about country music.  I honestly don't care anything about country music.  I just wanted to spend some time with my friends and have some giggles.  And I'll admit, I enjoyed the music too.

We laughed a lot.  There were deep discussions about hot topics (hot flashes).  There were no less than 10 pairs of reading glasses among us.  We found out that at least one of us (not me) wears boots with her pajamas.  A certain lady who shall remain nameless (Janine) can still draw a bar fight with the 20 somethings.  Some girls would rather shop, others would rather dance.  We all seemed to like to eat.  Some of us like to sleep late (that one is me).  Others can rise and shine quite early, even after a late night.  Bea can find the bright side of any situation (I love that).  Cynthe and I can find the same random things hilarious.  We have a few grandmas in the group (you'd never guess which ones they are) and then Bea and I are the crazies with 7 year olds at home.  Thank God we have several who are great planners and great with details.  And a few of us (okay, mostly just me) who will gladly ride their coat tails.

When I was flying home I was thinking about what it was that made this trip so special to me.  It finally hit me.  When I was growing up, we moved several times.  I was always jealous of those kids who lived in the same house their whole lives.  The kids who had gone to school together since kindergarten.  I was the girl who moved there in 7th grade and moved away the last part of our junior year.  I had wonderful friends in North Platte.  But when you're a teenager, sometimes you feel a little on the outside when you don't have that history with everyone.  So, to be included in this trip, was such a blessing.  Thank you ladies for making me smile, making me feel special, bringing back old memories and making new memories.  Each of you holds a special place in my heart!




                                      Oh....did I mention I met Vince Gill???  : )
                                          This says it all!!!  Love you guys!
                                              On the town!  Beautiful night!
                                      Waiting to see Kellie Pickler show.
                                      And we met Mac Davis too....just sayin!

No comments:

Post a Comment