Then, Tuesday night, Joe walked in the house....followed by my sweet friend Christi who had flown in from San Antonio to surprise me! What a wonderful surprise! Sometimes you just need some girl time with one of your besties! Some yummy food, a couple of glasses of wine, and a little shopping....perfect time with my friend. What a blessing to have Christi fly up for 24 hours just to make my day special. I have the best friends!!!
And then, dinner with my family at my favorite Japanese hibachi restaurant. Sometimes I look at my little family and I'm amazed at what God has done in my life!
Now, I have to say, that 50 brings several kind of realizations. There are the usual things like wrinkles, sagging, aches and pains. But I had to kind of giggle at some of the other things. Here are a few things I've picked up on lately...
- When you are 50 and you have a kindergartener, you are just fine with watching the younger, first time moms sign up for everything.
- At 50....it is not a good idea to keep your foot cream and hair pomade in the same location....you might get them confused one day....just sayin!
- When you are 50 you get a lot more "well bless your heart" comments. Like the girl at bootcamp who was whining about how she was too old for all this (I might add she weighs like 90 pounds). I asked how old she was, she said 38. I told her I'm 50. She said "well, I have 3 kids"...(hear the WAAAAHHH! in my voice)...well, I have a kindergartener. Wait for it...."Oh, bless you heart! I thought I was old when I had my last one!" I just smiled. Or the lady at the Clinique counter who complimented my haircut and asked if I had always worn it short. I told her that I had let it grow, thinking I'd leave it long until I turned 50 but actually cut it a few months early. She said "You're 50? Do you have kids?" I give her the low down....a 15 year old and a 6 year old. Wait for it...."Oh! Bless your heart! That must be what keeps you so young."
- My "max weight limit" changes everytime I hit a milestone birthday. It's very liberating! : )
- One day I put on a new necklace and think to myself "before I wear this again I need to change the charms around so it clasps the other way" (it was set up for a leftie). Then the next day I put the necklace on I think "before I wear this again I need to change the charms around so it clasps the other way". A couple days later I put the necklace on and I think "before I wear this again I need to change the charms around so it clasps the other way." Geez!
- You dress your child cute for picture day at school. And it never even crosses your mind to fill out the form and send a check....kind of like you've never done this before.
- Last weekend I was texting a friend in Nebraska during the Nebraska game. She mentioned something about a missed extra point because she knows the kicker. I was thinking to myself, "how did I miss that...I thought I was paying attention." So I don't say anything. Then about 15 minutes later I realize we had DVR'd the game and started it about 45 minutes late so we were not even seeing the same plays while we were texting. DERRR!
In honor of my 50th birthday, I'll post a few pictures from my younger days.
This is my brother Kim and I at my grandparents farm back in 1964
My favorite picture with my brother (the church in the back ground was where my dad was pastor).
At 50, I'd have to say you might as well have a sense of humor about yourself. And the best part is, if you do something embarrassing, there's a good chance you won't even remember tomorrow! Life is good!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment