Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Celebrating the small victories

Funny how our perspective changes as we get older.  When I was in my twenties I thought I might change the world.  In my thirties I very much enjoyed my little world.  In my forties I was busy in my little world.  And now, in the fifties, I'm just happy to celebrate small victories.  Funny what can make a girl happy at this point.  Here are a few of my favorites lately.

- I weighed less at my annual exam than I did this time last year. Whoop!  Whoop!  Can I get an amen sister?!

- My children eat fish.  I know, sounds silly.  But honestly, each time I fix some salmon or tilapia for dinner and my children get excited and all happy and scarf it down, I get happy.  You see, for me at their age, if a meal didn't include Funyuns or Chicken in a Biskit crackers, it just wasn't a meal.  The only fish we ate came in stick form.  Fruit and vegetables came from cans.  Except when my dad grew it in the garden....but I didn't really like those vegetables...because he didn't grow corn.  So the real victory here?  I have evolved!  Well, at least a little.  Honestly, the big kid got so excited when he saw the fish in the oven last night that I think I strained a muscle patting myself on the back.

- I let the big kid drive right after he got his permit.  I realize this isn't a huge thing for most people.  But I am one of those people who just gets really nervous about other people's driving.  YES....I KNOW IT IS A CONTROL THING!  I've been this way since I was a little girl.  My mom used to scare the poo out of me.   I very possibly rode on the floor of my mom's yellow Vega the whole time she was driving through some curving roads in Arkansas on a "girls trip" when I was like 11.  Now you get it, right?!  It's a big deal that I let the teenager behind the wheel...of MY car...on a rainy morning...only moments after he got his permit.  Just sayin! 

- Did I mention that I weighed less at my annual exam this year than I did last year?

- I started a book club with some friends.  I've missed being in a book club the last few years.  But schedules and little ones and big ones just made it impossible.  So, I found some friends who were flexible with times and seem to like similar books.  So I started a book club.  Yippee Skippee!!!   In case you didn't know, I love books.  And I love to talk books with my friends.  Unfortunately, I should not be in charge of anything.  Because I couldn't even remember what day we were meeting this month.  BUT...I surround myself with younger friends with better memories.  So, it all works out! 

- I got my reading glasses back that I left at the Wine Bar last month at book club.  I got them back when we went to same said Wine Bar for book club this month.  I count that a victory because I actually remembered to get them while Iwas there.  Obviously I never managed to do that in the 30 days in between book club. 

It's all about celebrating the small victories people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment