Although I can't seem to remember my address somedays, I seem to have a photographic memory on other things. I feel like I'm looking at life through a camera lens sometimes, and taking snapshots in my mind. And the older I get, the more I slow down and savor those little snapshots. The last few weeks I've had a few stand out that I've enjoyed closing my eyes and replaying over and over again. Like a few weeks ago when we went to dinner with my dad and Jean up in Tulsa one evening. Dad has always been great with kids and has really embraced and loves our kids. I got a little misty when I looked up and saw Dad and Clara holding hands and skipping down the sidewalk together. I'm not sure whose smile was bigger.
Then a couple of weeks ago the big kid went on a mission trip. He has done this before. But this time he went all the way to Nashville and was gone for a week. Standing in our driveway at the crack of dawn (literally) before I took Harrison to the church, I snapped another picture in my memory. Joe, Harrison (my big old hairy-legged boy) and myself, huddled together praying with the sun rising behind us. Made my heart skip a beat. So blessed to have a husband who prays. Humbled to get to parent this boy that I love more than I can express. And amazed that my baby is six feet tall and going off to serve the homeless and others in the inner city for a week.
Harrison got home from the mission trip at 2:30 in the morning. So Clara was anxiously waiting for him to wake up late the next morning. When he did, she was ready to be the first one to give him some love. I looked over and my very tired boy was holding his little sister, snuggled close, and she was purring....literally. Snap! Makes my heart happy!
And earlier this week, I sat in the stands watching a track meet. Still a bit amazed at the runner this boy of ours has become. But even more amazed at the things he is learning through this whole running thing. He has a teammate that is a very talented runner too. In cross country there was a little bit of tension at the beginning of the year. Everyone trying to find their place, making their way as freshmen. My boy is as competetive as they come, he loves to win. But he also loves to be a part of a team. This little rivalry could have gone a couple of ways. But I just had to smile and snap a picture in my mind at the track meet. These two guys, running the 2-mile race together. Running at the front of the pack, setting the pace, working together as a team. Smiling and enjoying the race and the friendship they have formed. Finishing first and second. And when it was over, my boy telling me "that was the most fun race ever!" He and his friend work together, they encourage each other, they challenge each other and sometimes, they even trade off who wins the race. I forgot my camera that day, but I've got that snapshot saved!
No comments:
Post a Comment